Termites are known as “silent destroyers” because of their ability to chew through wood, flooring and even wallpaper undetected.
If you suspect you have termites in your home, it’s important to take action quickly. Telltale signs like hollow-sounding wood and mud tubes will let you know they’re taking over. It pays to be vigilant, because termites can do a lot of damage before you even realize they’re there.
How to Identify a Termite Infestation
Before we dive into techniques to rid your home of termites, let’s break down the ways to identify a termite infestation. Unfortunately, it’s not as easy as seeing a termite skittering down your wood grain. Start by checking your attic, all of your home’s cracks and joints, and fuse boxes. Here are some types of evidence that your home’s foundation is under attack.
How do I know if I have termites?
- Hollow wood: If you knock or tap on your wood and hear a soft thud or hollow sound, it’s pretty clear you have termites. You can use a screwdriver to further test your wood. If you press the screwdriver into your wood and it gives easily, that’s not a good sign.
- Mud tubes: Subterranean termites create their own “highways” out of tubes of mud to connect the wood they eat to soil. These mud tubes, made up of wood and soil, are about as wide as a pencil. Spotting them means you have termites, but their absence doesn’t mean you’re home-free. The subterranean termites may not have made them yet, and drywood termites don’t make mud tubes, so those might be on your hands.
- Head banging: You may hear a strange clicking sound coming from inside of your walls. That’s because when soldier termites detect a threat, they signal danger to other termites by banging their heads against the wood and shaking their bodies.
- Swarm evidence: When subterranean termites set off to create a new colony, they shed their wings, often in piles. If you see a bunch of scattered wings, they could be from termites.
Peeling paint: When termites damage drywall, they let moisture enter the space between the surface and the paint, causing paint to bubble or peel. There are other reasons your paint may buckle, but if you note this in tandem with other signs, you may have a termite infestation.
- Frass: If you see small, granular, oval pellets on your door frames, baseboards, and windowsills, they may be frass, or termite droppings.
- Seeing live termites: It is possible that you may come across some live termites. It’s important to distinguish them from flying ants so that you know what you’re dealing with. Termites’ rear wings are even in size, their abdomens are thick, and their antennae are straight. On the flip side, flying ants have wings of different size, are thinner through the middle, and have bent antennae.
Great service. Bees gone.
Got a call back immediately. Even at 7 a.m. showed up at 8 on the dot. Great service. Bees gone. Thanks
No Chemicals!!! The Essential Oils product Brett used is effective!
No Chemicals!!! The Essential Oils product Brett used is effective! We have a wasp issue; our peaks are very high as are our windows, we want to protect the window cleaner and painter so they can do their job without concern of being stung. Brett was able to get this job done right away for… Read more “No Chemicals!!! The Essential Oils product Brett used is effective!”
The technician was friendly and the service worked.
We called Vextech to get rid of boxelder bugs. The technician was friendly and the service worked. He recommended that we remove a few trees from the property that were attracting the bugs here. Great Job!
He was not in a rush and took the time to walk the house perimeter with me to get all the information he could.
Brett was great to speak with over the phone. He listened and suggested 2 options. His response time to when he could assist was the very next day. I guess this may depend on his prior commitments and maybe I got very lucky. He was even better when we met. He was not in a… Read more “He was not in a rush and took the time to walk the house perimeter with me to get all the information he could.”
I was very happy with the fast and friendly service.
I was very happy with the fast and friendly service. If I need any further pest control, I will definitely call Brett. Thanks!
Professional and his fee was so reasonable, I would not call anyone else.
This is the company to call for getting rid of your pests!!! Brett came to my house and handled my flea problem so professionally and his fee was so reasonable, I would not call anyone else.